Now that Cassie is dead(Cassie was Semantha’s older, dominating sister), Semantha is now at a private school and supposedly this makes her more free from her horrible past…not really. Semantha still thinks about how her sister caused her own rape, the baby that was created by that and poor Semantha still celebrates the child’s birthday in secret in her dorm. Since the book fast forward three years, the child should be three years old and living with distant relative.
So, now Semantha still hears the whispers of her ancestors and her sister. Even more so now that Mr. Heavenstone, Semantha’s father is getting . The entire time I felt Semantha was going psycho- and she had reason to be, especially since her love interest, Ethan Hunter may have a secret as well. But each person has their own demons. Here’s a SPOILER character profile of each. It’s quite a nutty group…
- Semantha Heavenstone is presumably seventeen, hears voices and she talks to her dead sister in her mind. In fact most of the things she does in the book is because “Cassie told her to”. Right down to how to behave in front of her dad’s new fiance. Honestly I didn’t like the fiance, Lucille Bennet anyway. She was snobby and domineering…like Cassie.
- Lucille Bennet has just turned 40 and wants to control the Heavenstone home. But Semantha will not have that. Oh, the woman does try to woo Semantha with gifts and promises that the will be friends. But who wants a friend who controls what people eat, wear, when they sleep and when they should marry…?
- Mr. Heavenstone is Semantha’s rich and still oblivious dad. He actually allows Lucille Bennet to fire Mrs. Dobson and Doris! Servants that were with the Heavenstones for a while. All he can say is “Lucille knows what she is doing. She is in charge” I smell a Cassie Tornado part two coming on. When will he learn to leave domineering women alone? I think the dead Mrs. Heavenstone had more sense than anyone in the mansion.
- Uncle Perry is still concerned with his business and promotion area of the Heavenstone Stores. Once again he asks Semantha if she needs anything at all and even wants her to work for him. By Uncle Perry not forcing any issues on anyone or being more in control, and by Semantha not taking his offer, allows things crash fast…
- Ethan Hunter is an interesting and shady character at best. I say this because he does come off as the perfect guy for Semantha. He’s a college boy, good-looking, and very intelligent where areas of business are concerned. But mysteriously, after not showing up for Semantha’s graduation, he appears out of thin air claiming he loves her and I do give him some credit for a while-and he comes to live with the Heavenstones, impressing the father (and Lucille) and now they want him to skip getting that MBA for a while and work for the Heavenstones. The problem: Ethan seems more apt to please Lucille’s demands than Semantha. “Lucille says this” or Lucille said that” Semantha gets tired of it. What happened to the business major with a backbone? What is really going on?
So yeah, Cassie still controls much from the grave and it causes “grave” consequences in the end. But truthfully I really did not Lucille at all and Semantha almost grows a spine….